History of Aromatherapy Blog
- René-Maurice Gattefossé (1881-1950)
- French chemist & father of aromatherapy
- Used antiseptic EOs such as thyme, lemon and clove in military hospitals to treat soldiers’ wounds during WWI
- Coined the term “aromatherapy” in 1928
- Discovered that essential oils are more effective than their synthetic counterparts, and that the whole natural oil is more effective than using isolated constituents.
- Dedicated much of his life to the study of essential oils, plant cultivation, and distillation methods